Notice Board:

Please note:

The systems connectivity problems experienced by the NMBM over the last couple of days have successfully been resolved and payments to service providers are now up to date. The NMBM would like to thank all parties for their patience and understanding.

  Questions And Answers

Category Keyword Search

Can I buy or lease land from the municipality and what do I need to know?

External parties may submit an application to purchase, lease or encroach on municipal land.

Submission of application
Applications must be hand delivered to the Executive Director: Human Settlements (Attention: Property Management Division). 

Physical Address:
Human Settlements Records Division
Ground Floor
Lillian Diedericks Building
Govan Mbeki Avenue

Application documentation needed
There is no formal application form as of yet, but an application should clearly state:
The property details: as much detail as possible, i.e. erf number and or address; locality map of sort -
  1. What the land is to be used for
  2. Motivation for the acquisition
  3. Preferred method of disposal: Sale; Lease or Encroachment
  4. Name and contact details of the applicant
Application process and time frames
  1. Once the hand-delivered application is received, acknowledgment of receipt of application will be e-mailed to the applicant with the contact details of the relevant official dealing with the application.
  2. The application will be subjected to internal circulation (SALT) in order to assess whether the subject land is required for municipal purposes, the most fundamental question to be responded to.
  3. A report will be prepared for consideration by full Council via the relevant standing committee of Council (Human Settlement Committee) and the Executive Mayor.
  4. The report will recommend and Council will resolve whether the land can be disposed and if so in what manner, i.e. by means of public tender or by means of expression of interest.
  5. Both instances will be advertised in the media; tenders will be considered by the Land Evaluation Committee and adjudicated
  6. Time frames are according to SPLUMA (Spatial Planning and Land Use Management Act) -View info-graphic 
The cost will vary according to the TYPE of application. Examples of TYPE include but are not limited to: Rezoning /Closure / Survey / Sub- division / Market value. Disposal and transfer will be for the cost of the applicant.  

Can we recommend a builder / architects / draftsmen?

No. Unfortunately we cannot recommend individuals, we would always suggest you consider builders / architects / draftsmen who are prepared to let you view recent projects and seek references from previous clients. Recommendations provided by friends / relatives do give a degree of reassurance, together with membership (registration) of appropriate trade / professional associations. Always agree to your requirement whether this be through a formal contract or written plans and specifications, give consideration to issues such as insurance, access to the property, fire safety, services such as water and electric, security, site clearance / cleanliness etc.

Did You Inspect my property?

As this is a mass valuation, the Municipal Valuer uses a computer aided mass appraisal (CAMA) system to determine the values of all properties. This is based on statistical analysis and geographical information systems (GIS), and therefore requires reliable and accurate data.

For residential property, obtaining access to all properties is not possible, and as such, the Municipal Valuer makes use of advanced technology that allows the collection of data. This includes the use of building plans and Pictometry, which is the state of the art 3D aerial photography that allows the valuers to see the properties from all angles, and be able to measure the extents and heights of the
buildings, as well as other information relating to quality, condition and other improvements. This is augmented by the use of street level video footage which is collected by driving down each street and recording the street frontages. This method is acceptable in terms of the MPRA, and endorsed by the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) the international body that sets
standards to mass appraisal importantly endorses more.

However, in cases where the aerial photography and other imagery is not useable, usually in the cases where properties have a lot of foliage, or high security walls, then physical inspection of the site is undertaken.

The data collection process is independently reviewed for quality assurance purposes to ensure the data collectors are consistent in their approach and the data they record is correct for the subject property.

For non-residential properties, field visits are undertaken to obtain data such as the property use, rentals and financial records of businesses.

Do I need a Lawyer to represent me at the Appeal Board?

The Appeal Board is not a court of law, and you do not need to bring a lawyer, unless you wish to do so. You may also bring any other expert to assist you during your appeal hearing. However this will be for your own account.

The Valuation Appeal Board will consist of a Chairperson with legal qualifications and sufficient experience in the administration of justice. The remaining members will be made up of not fewer than two and not more than four other members with sufficient knowledge of, or experience in, the valuation of property. At least one must be a professional valuer registered in terms of the Property Valuers Profession Act 47 of 2000.

The Appeal Board is an independent Body appointed by the MEC Local Government.

How long will an objection take to be resolved? 
The number of objection received will have an effect on the process period. The Municipal Valuer will review the objections taking in consideration the information that was provided on the objection form.

The outcome of the Municipal Valuer decisions will be mailed to objectors in phases as per completion.

How am I billed for municipal services?

You will be sent a monthly statement that details charges. The due date for payment is clearly indicated on the statement.

  • Water and electricity charges are based on actual consumption. In the case of debit meters, consumption is determined by readings taken from the meters. In the case of pre-payment meters, the meter will be "charged" with units.
  • Charges for refuse removal depend on the usage of a property. Businesses, such as restaurants and supermarkets, are charged a higher fee than domestic consumers, because of the nature and volume of the refuse to be collected.
  • Sewerage charges are determined by the number of sewer points (toilets and urinals) on a property (based on water consumption, with basic minimum calculated on 11 kl of water and a maximum of 50 kl for domestic customers).
  • Trade effluent charges are charged in respect of all businesses.

How do I determine if there is a water leak on my property?

  • Check whether there are any damp areas on the ground or on the walls where your pipes run.
  • Make sure that the geyser is not overflowing by checking the overflow pipe on the roof.
  • Check the cisterns of each toilet on the property to ensure that the rubber seal is effective and water is not continually running into the bowl.
  • If a hissing sound can be heard from the water pipes when no taps are running, there is probably a leak.
  • Make sure that no taps are dripping: - a dripping tap can waste more than 200 litres of water a day, or about 6,5 kilolitres a month.
  • Take a reading before going to bed at night; before you use/consume any water the following day, take the reading again. Any deviation between the two readings will indicate that you have a water leak

How do I establish what development is permitted on my property?

The zoning regulations as well as the correct property description and details of the size, orientation etc can be obtained from 3rdfloor, Lillian Diedericks (Brister House), 191 Govan Mbeki Avenue, Port Elizabeth.

Details of restrictions set out in the Title Deed can be established by obtaining a copy of the Title Deed from the Deeds Office, or the Bank or Financial Institution that holds the mortgage bond.

Can I change the zoning regulations and/or remove restrictive conditions of title?

If a proposed property development requires a change of the zoning regulations or amendment of the title conditions, this is possible, but requires an application and a formal procedure. There are numerous different kinds of applications, many which are technically and legally complex.  It is therefore advisable to consult a professional town planning consultant or other professionals.

Some development proposals may not require rezoning or removal of restrictive conditions but nevertheless need the Councils permission.  These are known as Consent Applications and are usually less complex, but need to be legally and technical correct.

Pre-consultation process where a planner will advise the applicant on which land application to apply and Pre-consultation forms are available at 3rd floor, Lillian Diedericks (Brister House), 191 Govan Mbeki Avenue, Port Elizabeth.

Form for the various types of applications available at 2ndfloor, Lillian Diedericks (Brister House), 191 Govan Mbeki Avenue, Port Elizabeth. Click here to download the form.

How do I find out where the sewers run in my property?

Visit the Technical Department of the Wastewater Conveyance Division, which is located on the 6thFloor of the Mfanasekhaya Gqobose Building (formerly the Eric Tindale Building), Govan Mbeki Ave, Port Elizabeth. Once there you can request to talk to a Technician who will be more than willing to assist you.

How do I get copies of building records for my property?

The Building Inspectorate Office is the primary source of information about your property. Ask for a copy of the history for your property. This history is typically previously approved plans with dates of all building additions done and general data about the construction. The Building Inspectorate Main Office (PE) can be reached at 0415062462.

Please note that copies of the records can be made at the Central Information offices (Ground Floor, Lillian Diedricks Building) after payment has been made on the ground floor at the cashiers, Mfanasekhaya Gqobose Building. Please note that no cash will be accepted for plan copies at the Building Inspector Archive counter and that you will only receive a receipt for payment to be made at the cashiers. You will be charged according to size of prints of the plans as well as the amount of copies you require.

How do I object?

You can object to the market value of the property, bearing in mind the valuations are determined as
of 2 July 2012, and not the current market. In addition, you can object to the stated category of the
property. Objections will also be possible if the property description or owner names are incorrect.

The required forms for the lodging of an objection to an individual property are available at the
Customer care centres and website Valuation staff will be available at the centres to assist. The completed objection forms must be returned BY HAND to any of the centre(s) listed below. Kindly bring along this Section 49 notice when submitting your objection, as this will expedite the submission process.


What happens after I have lodged my objection? 
The matter will be referred back to the valuer, who will review the valuation in the light of any
additional information provided by you. You will be informed in writing of the outcome of this review.

What happens if I am still unhappy with my valuation?
You may lodge an appeal against the valuation and this appeal will be heard by the Valuation Appeal
Board, which is a tribunal appointed by the Provincial Government.

How do I lodge an Appeal? 
Details of this will be provided to you together with the outcome of your objection.

How do I read my water meter?

Reading Your Water Meter

Your water account will show a consumption charge for the total number of kilolitres you have used over the last month. Note that the meter reader does not read the number of litres.

As you are being charged according to the amount of water you use, it is a good idea to know how to read your meter and read it regularly. 

It is important to understand water volumes. Here is an explanation:

Ml = 1 000 k l (think of a cube 10 m x 10 m x 10m. The NMBM usage is approximately 320 Ml/day)
1 k l = 1 000 l (think of a cube 1 m x 1 m x 1 m, 1 k l = 1 m3)
l = 1 000 ml (a teaspoon takes 5 ml, a cool drink can take 330 ml)

Your water meter tells you exactly how much water you are using. Generally, water meters are located just inside the boundary of your property, normally in the corner.

Water usage can be monitored by simply reading your meter on a daily basis. 

Black numbers tell you how many kilolitres you have used; 

Red numbers tell you how many litres you have used.

  • to detect leaks close all taps and check that the water meter shows no consumption
  • read your meter regularly, get to know where the water is used
  • protect your meter from theft and vandalism

How do I register my electricity prepaid meter number in order for the meter number to reflect on my water and/or property rates account ?

To register a pre-paid meter number is quick and easy - forward your pre-paid electricity meter or card number, together with your municipal account number to the Customer Care Section for linking, by using any of the following methods:
  • Telephone the Customer Care Help-line on tel: 041-506 5555
  • Email:
  • Fax: 041 506 1304
  • At any of the 11 walk-in Customer Care Centres

How do I request that services be cut if my property is illegally occupied?

Please forward a letter that indicates the address, your account number and the date you would like services to be cut. The owner will be held liable for the reconnection cost and the settlement of arrear amounts on the account.

How does the City Value your property?

The purpose of the valuation project is to determine a market value of all properties, which implies the most probable price that a property would realise on the date of valuation, if sold on the open market by a willing seller to a willing buyer.

There are several types of properties in the municipality – residential, sectional title, non- residential and agriculture. Each is valued on different basis, although they all relate to the market value. For example, residential property (including sectional titles) is valued on a comparable sales method. Most commercial property (including retail, offices, warehousing) are valued on an income basis, while institutional properties such as schools, hospitals and clinics are valued on a cost basis.

When valuing the properties, the Municipal Valuer establishes the market conditions, and this is based on recent sales and market information activity in the various areas. Therefore this will take into consideration areas where values have declined, increased or remained stagnant due to the current state of the economy as on the Valuation date

How does the value of my property affect my rates bill?

Rates are calculated by charging a percentage of the valuation of your property as an annual fee. The higher the value of your property, the higher your rates will be. The value of the property is determined by valuers and the resulting value is multiplied by a factor (eg 2.4%), which in turn results in the amount of rates charged. These funds are then used by the Municipality to maintain NMBM infrastructure (such as roads and streetlights). 

How long is an approved plan valid?

A building plan is valid for 12 months from the date of approval. You may apply in writing to your local authority for an extension before the expiry date. Extension can be granted for six months upon receipts of written request from the property owner.

I am a sectional title property owner. Even though I pay individual rates and taxes, I also pay levies to the body corporate for my water and electricity. Why have you cut my electricity/water?

The onus is on the body corporate (represented by your Managing Agent) to ensure that the full amount on the statement is settled. We have cut/restricted service to your complex because they have not paid your services account. Please consult your body corporate (Chairman of the Trustees) regarding your payment to them. Once proof of payment is made available to us, we will reconnect your services.

I have a tenant in my property that is supposed to pay for the water and electricity bill. Will you take credit control action against the tenant or against me as the owner?

Property owners are responsible for the full payment of all municipal services and rates accounts, even if the property is let to a tenant.

I have objected to the new value of my property. Must I continue to pay my rates even though I think I am paying too much?

The MPRA Section 50 (6) states: 

"The lodging of an objection does not defer liability for payment of rates beyond the date determined for payment".

Therefore the account must still be paid until the objection process has been finalised.

The MPRA Section 55 (2) states :

"If an adjustment in the valuation of a property affects the amount due for rates payable on that property, the municipal manager must :

(a) calculate - 

 (i) the amount actually paid on the property since the effective date; and 

 (ii) the amount payable in terms of the adjustment on the property since the effective date ; and 

(b) recover from, or repay to, the person liable for the payment of the rate the difference determined in terms of paragraph (a) plus interest at a prescribed rates.

I own my property, why should I pay rates on it?

It is important to remember that the Municipality has to fund most projects and maintenance work in its area itself. Road maintenance, stormwater drainage systems, electricity consumed by street lighting and many other services that directly or indirectly benefit NMBM residents have to be financed. The income from rates charges finances these and other community services. 

If I do not receive a statement from the NMBM, how can the Municipality expect me to pay if I am not billed?

The onus is on the property owner to ensure that he/she receives a statement from the NMBM. The property owner should ensure that the correct details are given to the NMBM by calling 041 506 5555 or emailing Alternatively, any Customer Care Offices can be contacted.

To what extent is the Municipal decision final?

Section 52(2) of the MPRA states that if the Municipal Valuer changes the value of a property that was objected to by more than 10% upwards or downwards the Appeal Board must review the objection, confirm, amend or revoke the decision of the Municipal Valuer.

Water saving tips - Water usage in and around the house.


"We need water to grow our economy and to alleviate poverty in South Africa.

Let’s conserve our water and use it with care”



  • immediately repair/report leaks (dripping taps can waste 200 l/day)
  • check no overflows from hot water storage cylinder (geyser) or toilet cistern
  • educate all staff and children to save water
  • wash up in batches, not single items
  • collect cold water from the shower in a bucket while waiting for hot water to arrive
  • rinse dishes in a basin and reuse the water in the garden
  • use bathwater to flush toilets
  • heat water in a kettle rather than run the hot water tap
  • make less use of automatic dishwashers and reduce their running cycles
  • shower instead of bathing – do not let the shower run continuously, use a bucket to collect in the shower. In the shower, turn the water on to get wet, turn off to lather up, then turn back on to rinse off.  Repeat when washing your hair
  • bath in not more than 100 mm depth of water
  • share baths when possible
  • flush toilets sparingly, flush with the bath water
  • automatic flushing urinals waste water; replace them
  • place 1 litre plastic bottle/bag filled with water in the toilet cistern
  • avoid flushing the toilet unnecessarily.  Dispose of tissues, insects or other similar waste in the rubbish rather than the toilet
  • check inlet float valve operating level and washers in the toilet cistern
  • If the toilet handle frequently sticks in the flush position letting water run constantly, replace or adjust it
  • check flush valve at bottom of toilet cistern for leakage
  • use water efficient appliances such as low-flow shower heads, tap aerators, washing machines & dishwashers, 6 litre toilet cisterns or dual flush cisterns
  • store drinking water in the refrigerator.  Don’t let the tap run while you are waiting for cool water to flow
  • do not use running water to thaw meat or other frozen foods.  Defrost food overnight in the refrigerator or use the defrost setting on your microwave
  • don’t let the water run while shaving or washing your face.  Brush your teeth first while waiting for water to get hot, then wash or shave after filling the basin
  • install grey water system from wash water to use in the garden 
  •  collect rainwater from roofs in tanks, top up the pool when necessary
  •  divert rainwater downpipes to pool
  •   use a pool blanket and save on evaporation losses
  •   recycle your backwash water to a tank, allow to stand for a day and use on lawn
  •   reduce cycling periods and cycling time  


  • do not water lawns with a hosepipe
  • reduce areas requiring water
  • do not water in hot or windy conditions, water in early morning or early evening
  • use mulches on flower beds and around trees to conserve soil moisture (70mm)
  •  water by bucket or watering can
  • remove or lock outside taps
  • collect rainwater in tanks, and divert rainwater to garden
  • consider using a commercial car wash that recycles water.  Wash car on the lawn and use a bucket
  • keep lawn at 2 cm height
  • remove alien weeds that consume water
  • plant local indigenous water-wise trees shrubs
  • dig catchment basins around your shrubs
  • ensure deep watering of roots
  • design paths and driveways to be higher than adjacent flower beds
  • install irrigation devices that are the most water efficient for each use.  Micro and drip irrigation and soaker hoses are examples of water efficient irrigation methods
  • do not leave sprinklers or hoses unattended.  Use a kitchen timer to remind yourself 


  •      educate all staff to save water
  •      factory managers must do water audits to identify wasteful practices
  •       use recycled water for wash water processes
  •       implement rainwater harvesting
  •       install grey water system 


  • to detect leaks close all taps and check that the water meter shows no consumption
  •  read your meter regularly, get to know where the water is used
  • see how to read your water meter
  • protect your meter from theft and vandalism  


Everybody uses water and it is everybody’s responsibility to use water wisely, sparingly and to save it wherever possible. Encourage your friends and neighbors to be part of a water-conscious community.  Encourage them to "do their part”.  Conserve water because it is the right thing to do.  Don’t waste water just because someone else is footing the bill, such as when you are staying in a hotel. 


  • You can play a part by being aware of your impact on water consumption and your responsibility to save it and by telling others about it.
  • You can save water at home, at work, at school and anywhere you use water.
  • Use the many tips to save water and try to find other ways to save it. 


·         REPORT LEAKS TO CALLFREE NO.:   0800 20 5050

·         Or

·         Or 


Reading Your Water Meter

Your water account will show a consumption charge for the total number of kilolitres you have used over the last month. Note that the meter reader does not read the number of litres.

As you are being charged according to the amount of water you use, it is a good idea to know how to read your meter and read it regularly.

It is important to understand water volumes. Here is an explanation:

1 Ml = 1 000 k l (think of a cube 10 m x 10 m x 10m. The NMBM usage is approximately 320 Ml/day)
1 k l = 1 000 l (think of a cube 1 m x 1 m x 1 m, 1 k l = 1 m3)
1 l = 1 000 ml (a teaspoon takes 5 ml, a cool drink can take 330 ml)

Your water meter tells you exactly how much water you are using. Generally, water meters are located just inside the boundary of your property, normally in the corner.

Water usage can be monitored by simply reading your meter on a daily basis.

Black numbers tell you how many kilolitres you have used;

Red numbers tell you how many litres you have used.

  • to detect leaks close all taps and check that the water meter shows no consumption
  • read your meter regularly, get to know where the water is used
  • protect your meter from theft and vandalism

How do you use water in your home? The two main water-guzzlers are baths and toilets!

Remember the golden rule: bath water should not be deeper than 100mm.Check the table below to establish which of your domestic activities use the most water.


(Note that typical values used. Usage depends on design of water installation, personal habits, and size of family and efficiency of appliances)



DWELLING = 40 m2


DWELLING > 180 m2



No bath


1 bath per day at a depth of  100 mm                               



3 showers at 10 l / min. for 3 minutes each                                                          


3 showers at 10 l/min. for 4 minutes each                                                                                                                                                               


Wash hand basin

Water used carefully


Water used carefully                              



12 uses at 6 l per flush


12 uses at 9 l per flush                        


Washing machine



5 uses per week @ 40 l/cycle               


Hand washing

Clothing, floors, windows and other


Water used sparingly                                


Cooking and drinking

Water used sparingly


Water used sparingly                              





7 uses per week @ 12 l /cycle               



Sink filled with water each time


Water used sparingly                               




277 l


475 l










·         REPORT COMPLAINTS TO CALL FREE NO  0800 20 5050 OR E-MAIL TO              

What are the consequences of building without approved building plans?

If you carry out building work without approval from the NMBM, you are committing a criminal offence for which you can receive a court order to demolish the structure concerned. Problems can also arise in the future if the property is put up for sale and the NMBM’s records reveal that approval was not granted.

What are the criteria to qualify for the pensioners/disabled rates rebate?

§  The property must be categorised as residential

§  You must be the owner of the property on 1 July of the year for which the rebate is being applied

§  You must be a pensioner and at least 60 years old

§  The joint income of all occupants residing on the relevant property may not exceed an amount prescribed by Council on an annual basis. 

What are the restrictions on the use of water?


In terms of Section 4 of the Water Services Act 108 (No 108 of 1997) and Clause 31 of the Water & Sanitation Services By-Law the following will be prohibited from immediate effect:

1. The use of water obtained from the Municipality’s water supply system for: -

(a) watering gardens, lawns, grassed areas, flower beds, racecourses, sports fields, bowling   greens, golf greens and fairways, croquet lawns, turf wickets, ploughing fields and the like;

(b) topping up or filling fountains, ornamental ponds and the like;

(c) filling swimming and paddling pools;

(d) washing paved areas, walls, roofs, buildings and similar structures.

2. The use or operation of: -

(a) hosepipes;

(b) sprinklers, sprinkler and drip systems;

(c) automatic swimming pool fillers;

(d) automatic urinal flushing systems;

(e) the connection of a hosepipe or any form of irrigation system to a tap supplying water from  the Municipality’s water supply system unless for the purposes permitted in terms of this     notice.


1. The use of reclaimed water or water obtained from sources other than the Municipality’s water supply system.

2. Watering gardens, lawns, grassed areas and flower beds by means of a hand held container.

3. The use or operation of a hose pipe or sprinkler system for firefighting.

4. The filling of a new pool on completion of initial construction.

5. Commercial vehicle washing business where at least 70 % of the water is recycled. (Vehicle washing by means of a hand held container is permitted)

6. Watering of plants, trees and shrubs in commercial, state and municipal nurseries.

7. The filling of municipal swimming pools and swimming pools at hotels, fitness centres, medical care centres, schools, educational institutions and institutions of higher education.

8. The prohibitions contained in this notice shall not apply in any case specifically exempted, in writing, by the Executive Director: Infrastructure and Engineering.



  •     Notice boards must be prominently displayed where water from sources other than the Municipality’s water supply system is used for irrigation.
  •     Land owners must notify the Infrastructure and Engineering Directorate in writing of the existence of boreholes on their property.
  •        Land owners must apply to the Department of Water & Sanitation for the intention to sink boreholes and also notify the NMBM.
  •        All consumption must be reduced by at least 15% and failure to achieve this the NMBM will be forced to impose stricter measure.



What can’t I object against?

Legislation allows you to object to any entry or omission from the General Valuation Roll but not the roll in total. A property owner can also not object to the rates that you are paying or are due to pay; The Valuation Services directorate does not determine rates. We are responsible for the determination of property values, which are used as the City's rates base by the Rates & Taxes directorate to calculate your rates.

What do I do if I disagree with my property valuation?

Legislation makes ample provision for any person to object to an entry in a General Valuation roll, provided that such objection takes place in the prescribed manner and within the prescribed objection period. An objection will be considered by the Municipal Valuer and a Valuation Appeal Board, should a property owner wish to appeal against the findings of the former. Each new valuation roll must be advertised in a prescribed manner, and such roll must be made available to the public for inspection and objection. Once the inspection period has closed no more objections will be accepted.

Specific details on the objection dates and venues will be advised in the individual notices to owners regarding their property valuations (sect 49 notices).

What do I need to do when I move out of a house, flat or business premises?

  • Take your ID with you to your nearest municipal enquiries office. You will be asked the address of the property you plan to vacate and the date on which you wish to have your services disconnected.
  • This has to be done at least four workings days prior to the date on which you want the services terminated
  • The clerk will process your request on-line and issue you with a copy as proof

What do I need to do when moving into a house, flat or office to have my services connected and/ or transferred to my name?

  • Take your ID and the correct address where you require the connection to your nearest municipal enquiries office. Take money or a chequebook along with you, as deposits and connection fees are payable.
  • In terms of the relevant NMBM By-law, the institution may contract with the registered owner of a property only: therefore you must be the registered owner in order to open a service (water and/or electricity) account.
  • Where the owner cannot report to the counter to sign the contract/agreement form, the owner may send a duly authorised person, together with a power of delegation letter, in order to open the account. Note that the account will be opened in the owner’s name – not in the name of the delegated representative.
  • Tenants cannot open accounts in their own names.
  • Request the enquiry clerk for assistance to open an account at the counter and ask about the deposit and connection fees.
  • The connection form will be completed on-line, whereafter the required deposit is payable at the cashiers in the banking hall.
  • The cashier will keep your connection form and forward it to the correct department for connection.
  • You will receive a copy with your receipt printed on the connection form.

What happens if I fail to pay my municipal account?

If you do not pay your account by the due date, you will be liable for credit control action. If you use a conventional electricity meter, the supply to that property may be suspended until the arrears and penalty fee have been paid in full. If you use a prepaid electricity meter, a blocking will be placed on vending computers to prevent you from buying electricity until all arrears have been settled in full. Legal action will be instituted should these measures fail to recover the arrears

What is a General Valuation Roll?

A General Valuation Roll (GV) is a legal document that consists of property information of all rateable
properties within the boundaries of a municipality. It is produced according to The Municipal Property
Rates Act 6 of 2004 (MPRA).

What is a Section 49 Notice?

A section 49 Notice informs property owners of the amount at which your property has been valued
as on 2 July 2012 by the Municipal Valuer and entered in the new valuation roll, which takes effect
on 1 July 2013.

What should I do?

If you are satisfied that this figure represents the market value of your property as at 2 July 2012,
you need to take no action. Should you feel that your property has been over or under valued, you
may lodge an objection. You can do this by completing and handing in the prescribed form together
with any information you have in support of your objection. The forms are obtainable as per
the attached notice. The completed objection forms must be returned by hand to any of the listed
Municipal Offices. No form of electronic submission will be accepted.

What is a supplementary valuation?

The City is compelled by legislation to reflect all changes on properties in a Supplementary Valuation Roll. Supplementary valuations are performed during each financial year, according to the relevant legislation, to supplement the current general valuation roll with any new properties and/or changes to property values contained in the current general valuation roll.

What is an ‘estate late’ account and what happens to an account if the owner is deceased?

An ‘estate late’ account applies where the registered owner/occupant of a property passed away. The account will become an ‘estate late’ account once the NMBM is notified via a death certificate.

If the deceased had a will and a beneficiary is stated in the will, a normal transfer has to take place and the required deposit must be paid if the beneficiary is working and his/her income exceeds two state pensions. If the beneficiary is unemployed or his/her income is less than two state pensions, the MBM will transfer the property free of charge unto the name of the beneficiary. Please take note that the monthly account has to be paid after the deceased passed away. If the beneficiary is unemployed, he/she can apply for ATTP. 

What is Land Use Management?

Land Use Management is the system of legal requirements and regulations that apply to land in order to achieve desirable and harmonious development of the built environment.

Every property in the Metro has a set of regulations to control development, these regulations are determined by zoning of the property.  Property zoning is set out in the applicable Town Planning Schemes, which determines land use, floor area, coverage, building lines, parking provisions etc.

There are presently different Town Planning Schemes for different areas in the Metro.  It is important to establish which scheme applies to which area, as the specific requirements of the scheme differs.

In addition to the zoning regulations, development is also controlled by conditions of title.  These conditions are set out in the Title Deed of each property, and can restrict the way in which property may be developed.

Other pieces of Legislation that regulate development include the National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act and various Policies and other Municipal Bylaws.

Any development of land that does not abide by this legislation and its various sets of regulations can result in prosecution in terms of applicable legislation.

What is the date of valuation and why is this important?

The date of valuation refers to the date at which property values are determined and fixed for the purpose of the General Valuation Roll. For the purpose of the new GV 2013 2nd July 2012 has been set as the valuation date. It is also the date that will be used for all future calculations for the purposes of supplementary valuations up until a new general valuation roll replaces the General Valuation Roll 2013.

What paperwork should I have to obtain a copy of my house plans / if I require plans of a property on behalf of someone else?

If you are the owner of the property, you can obtain the records on your property presenting your valid ID document or your driver’s license.

If you are a ‘shared owner’ or co-owner, you may need to get permission from them (the other co-owner) to obtain the documents as well.

Those collecting on behalf of owners e.g. estate agents or professionals working on a project will need the following documents:

·         Certified copy of a valid ID document / driver’s license of the owner of the property.

·         Letter written and under signed by the owner giving you permission to obtain the info on their behalf.

Valid ID document / driver’s license of the person obtaining the information.

What relief can I receive on my property rates charges if I am unable to pay for rates?

You can apply for a rates rebate should you qualify for such a rebate. There arevarious types of rates rebates.

What should I do if there is no-one at my property during the day and the meter readers cannot read my meters?

You can read your own meters and then telephone your nearest main municipal office with the readings and the date they were taken. At least once a year, you will be expected to make an appointment to meet a meter reader at your premises in order to confirm the readings. 

When and at what stages do I have to request an inspection?

Building control office must be notified 2 working days in advanced that an inspection is required. It is important that all compulsory inspections are carried out in order to allow us to issue a completion certificate upon application.
There are compulsory inspections that one needs to book with the NMBM:

  • Site and Foundation trenches (Open trenches, no concrete)
  • Open and closed drainage (Drainage inspectors from Drainage Department, Waste Water Services, Infrastructure & Engineering - 6th Floor, Mfanasekhaya Gqobose Building)
  • Completion- it is important that you request a completion inspection ideally before your builder leaves the site – additional work / cost may be necessary. It is illegal to occupy a building / Extension without an occupation certificate. The certificate is a vital document when you come to sell your property.

When do I have to pay my rates if I wish to pay it annually?

Annual property rates are payable in full on or before the end of September each year.

When do I have to pay my rates if I wish to pay it monthly?

Property rates are charged to the accounts of property owners on 1 July each year. If the property owner wishes to pay it monthly, the first installment would be due and payable in August. The date in August depends on the due date of the services (water and/or electricity) linked to the relevant property. 

When do my rates increase?

§  The annual increase takes effect on the first of July of each year, as this Municipality’s financial year is from 01 July until 30 June the following year

§  When a supplementary valuation is done

§  Every four years, when the entire Metro gets revalued in terms of the Property Rates Act 

Where can I get property boundary drawing information as well as aerial photos?

'Land Survey Enquiries Counter' on the 3rd floor Kwantu Towers or phone us at 041 5062146 for more information. When cadastral spatial data in electronic format and relevant aerial photos are required our 'Graphic Services Drawing Office' can assist. (3rd floor, Kwantu Towers).

Who can subdivide and consolidate my property (erf)?

 Any Professional Land Surveyor (members list on SAGC website or browse the 'yellow pages')


Or you can visit 'Land Survey Enquiries Counter' on the 3rd floor Kwantu Towers' or phone 041 506 2146 for more information.

Who is responsible for fixing water leaks on private property?

The Municipality maintains and repairs the water mains up to the water meter. The area from the meter to the taps is the responsibility of the owner or tenant, depending on the lease agreement.

  • If you have a leak on your property, contact a private plumbing contractor to make the necessary repairs. It is in your own interest to have a leak repaired immediately, as you will be charged at a higher rate as your consumption increases.
  • If there is a burst pipe or leak on a roadway or pavement, report it to the Municipality’s Water Services. It is illegal for a consumer or private contractor to tamper with a water meter. 

Who is responsible for removing bees from my property?

The private property owner/occupant.

Who is responsible for removing rats from my property?

The private property owner/occupant.

Who qualifies for the indigent subsidy (ATTP)?

    • You are the legal owner or account holder of the property.
    • The total gross household income (of all occupants) is less than two state pensions per month – currently R2 700 per month. Note that this amount is increased on 1 April of each year.
    • There are many other criteria – see the ATTP Policy on the NMBM website ( for detailed information in this regard.

Why a new Valuation Roll?

The last NMBM valuation roll was implemented with effect from 1 July 2008, and by law the City of Port Elizabeth needs to review its GV every four years. In the case of the city of Port Elizabeth, the MEC for local Government granted the City a 12 month extension and therefore Port Elizabeth residents will see the GV implemented on 1 July 2013.

The general valuation is tied to a specific date for the entire period of the valuation roll, and must be at most one year from the date of implementation. This is referred to as Date of Valuation, at which all property values are "pegged” or "fixed” and will be 1 July 2012. The values must reflect the market value of the properties in accordance with the market conditions which applied at that date.

Why does the NMBM implement Credit Control?

If the balance on your latest account shows an overdue amount, you have already been scheduled for cut-off because your account is 30 days overdue. You will receive a final demand notice before getting your latest account. To avoid being cut off, you must pay your account within 14 days of this final demand being posted to you. Always check all the details on the disconnection notice to ensure that it relates to your property.

If you do not respond to the disconnection notice within the days stipulated in the letter of demand, your municipal water or electricity service will be cut off. In this instance you will have to settle the full outstanding amount and pay a reconnection fee before services will be reinstated.

This can be done at any one of the following Customer Care Service Centres:

Customer Care Centre



Office Hours

Cleary Park Office

Cleary Park Shopping Centre
(cnr Norman Middleton & Stanford Rds>

(041) 506 2541
(041) 506 2542

08:00 – 15:30

Daleview Office

Cnr Hoog and Long Streets, Despatch

(041) 506 2671

08:00 – 15:30

Despatch Office

Main Road, Despatch

(041) 506 1637

08:00 – 15:30

Mfanasekhaya Gqobose Building

Govan Mbeki Avenue, Central

(041) 506 5555

08:00 – 15:30

Khayamnandi Office

29 Chief Albert Luthuli Street, Despatch

(041) 506 2607

08:00 – 15:30

Korsten Office

Ablett Road
(opposite Livingstone Hospital)

(041) 506 2682

08:00 – 15:30

KwaNobuhle Office

Ponana Tini Road
(next to Fire Station)

(041) 506 2627

08:00 – 15:30

Motherwell Office

Raymond Mhlaba Sports Centre, Motherwell

(041) 506 2595

08:00 – 15:30

Mtombolwazi Office

Addo Road
(opposite Motherwell Cemetery)

(041) 506 2520

08:00 – 15:30

New Brighton Office

Ntsekisa Road, New Brighton

(041) 506 2564

08:00 – 15:30

Uitenhage Office

Town Hall Building, Uitenhage

(041) 994 1209

08:00 – 15:30

Walmer Office

Heugh Rd, Sixth Avenue
(opposite Checkers Shopping Mall)

(041) 506 2546

08:00 – 15:30

Zwide Office

Johnson Road
(next to Zwide Clinic)

(041) 506 2549

08:00 – 15:30

KwaMagxaki Office

Ralo Street
(off Uitenhage Road)

(041) 506 7217/38

08:00 – 15:30

Why should I pay for services?

Municipalities are expected to be self-funding, raising much of their revenue from three key sources: electricity and water supplies, and the property taxes known as rates. The money raised by the NMBM will pay not only for basic services such as roads, refuse collection, traffic control, sewers, lights and water, but also for an expanded community police force, a large HIV/AIDS programme, housing for the poor, and a refurbished bus service.